Turn on the Ella Fitzgerald holiday tunes and get out your festive apron. These double chocolate peppermint cookies are always a favourite at this time of year!
Makes 3 dozen cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup chopped soft peppermint
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ Tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Be sure your oven racks are placed in the middle of the oven, then line three large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine butter and sugars on medium speed. Once combined, add your eggs, then vanilla, until just combined.
- Next add your flour mixture to the stand mixer bowl and mix at low speed until ingredients are fully combined. Then add the chocolate chips and continue to mix on low speed. The mixture should form a dough and come away from the mixing bowl sides as it’s being mixed.
- Scoop roughly 1½ tablespoons of cookie dough at a time and roll into balls. Place them onto your cookie sheet about two inches apart (12 cookies per sheet).
- Flatten the cookie dough balls with your palm and place them on the centre racks in the oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let your cookies fully cool before decorating. Start by drizzling decorating icing on the tops of each cookie. While the icing is still wet, sprinkle chopped peppermint candy on each cookie.
- Let the icing decorations dry and you’re ready to enjoy!