Our latest issue is out now! today.

History Drive

Author: Chris Edwards
4 years ago
No Comments
Share On

A legendary resort situated on Dougall Rd., the Elmwood was a fine Art Deco–style hotel, first built in 1943. It enjoyed a great run for almost 30 years, with entertainers like Tom Jones, Tony Bennett, Liberace, Ella Fitzgerald, Sammy Davis Jr., Barbra Streisand, and Wayne Newton headlining the floor shows. The Elmwood fell on hard times, and owner Al Siegel filed for bankruptcy, closing the hotel in December 1974. Kay and Jim Ryan reopened it as the Brentwood Recovery Home for people with substance abuse issues in 1984, and the couple worked with Father Paul Charbonneau to give assistance, shelter, and aid in recovery to addicts in the Windsor-Essex area.  

From Windsor Before and After: a new book from Walkerville Publishing Inc. Release date: Fall 2019. WPI is owned by Chris Edwards and Elaine Weeks.

Related Posts