Originally called the Border Cities Arena, “The Barn” hosted the Detroit Cougars (Detroit Red Wings) for the 1926-1927 NHL season while Detroit’s Olympia Stadium was under construction. The arena, later renamed the Windsor Arena, opened in 1925 for a local junior hockey team. It was home for years to the Windsor Bulldogs (later renamed the Spitfires), and Windsor Warlocks lacrosse team. Players such as Joel Quenneville, Eddie Mio, and Don Cherry (who began his hockey career here) all laced up inside its hallowed walls. Wayne Gretzky played here in the 1978 OHL All-Star game and Grant Fuhr, Doug Gilmour, and Dale Hawerchuk battled for the 1981 Memorial Cup on its ice. The Barn was also a venue for boxing matches, live concerts, and circuses. The arena is among the oldest and last of its type in North America. On the Windsor Heritage list, it was renovated, but then closed in 2017. Its future is uncertain.