Culture

History Drive

Author: Chris Edwards
3 months ago
|
No Comments
Share On
Share on email
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
The building on the left is 703-17 Ouellette, and housed the Knights of Columbus Auditorium, built in 1916. The rear building (716 Pelissier) was the Knights of Columbus Grand Hall, built in 1922, and featured a ballroom, swimming pool, gymnasium, bowling alley. and woodworking room. The house in the middle was built in 1912 as a duplex for Annie and James H. Richards. The building on the far right was the VMY Hotel, owned by Vladimir M. Yaksich, and was originally built as Clifford Apts circa 1910. Large homes once lined Ouellette Avenue south of Wyandotte; most were adapted to commercial enterprises, repurposed, or razed.
The left structure is currently undergoing renovations. The middle building is currently the Windsor Centre for Film, Digital Media and the Creative Arts. The VMY Hotel on the right became The Cook Shop in 1980.

From Windsor Before and After: a new book from Walkerville Publishing Inc. Release date: Fall 2019. WPI is owned by Chris Edwards and Elaine Weeks.